Thursday, March 05, 2009

Saturday Morning Cartoons: Watchmen

Set in an alternate universe where in nineteen eighty-five the tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union are high and the "Doomsday Clock" is set at five minutes to midnight, former superhero turned vigilante Rorschach discovers that one of his former colleagues, The Comedian, has been murdered.

As he investigates the murder he uncovers a plot that is intent on killing and/or discrediting all past and present superheros. As he reconnects with members of his former crime-fighting unit, including Nite Owl II, Silk Spectre II, Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan, they uncover a disturbing conspiracy that not only links their shared past but has catastrophic consequences for the future.

Read the graphic novel for the first time today. I enjoyed the story. It was deep and interesting, but I never got to a point where I really cared very much about the characters...except for Rorschach.

Has anyone seen the movie yet?

6 Comments:

Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

I don't understand. Is this a parody? They didn't actually make a Saturday morning show out of this, did they?

The more I type, the dimmer I feel.

5/3/09 17:00  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Yeah, it is just a parody.

I don't think the material in the graphic novel would have been appropriate for a Saturday Morning Cartoon, even in the 80s LOL!

5/3/09 17:53  
Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

Haven't seen the movie yet. I hope to remedy that by tonight. I read Watchmen back in the day (damn, I feel old) and can't wait to see it on the big screen!

6/3/09 13:24  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Re-read it again today. I hope to catch the movie on Saturday.

6/3/09 17:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen it yet either, but I've heard good reviews so far...

10/3/09 19:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was very good and stayed fairly true to the graphic novel. Changed the ending, but it still tied in nicely.

27/3/09 09:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home