Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Halloween Masks Predict Elections

For the last seven presidential elections, since Ronald Reagan's first victory, sales of rubber Halloween masks caricaturing the Republican and Democratic candidates have predicted the next president.

Seven in a row. That's quite a spooky coincidence.

Typically, the highest volume of mask sales are purchased in the last one to two weeks before Halloween.

Each week, McCain has been slowly closing the gap between himself and Obama in terms of mask sales.

To find out who the mask sales predict will be the 44th President of the United States, sign-up for weekly Spirit Halloween Presidential Index updates by e-mailing presidential@spirithalloween.com.

If I actually thought the correlation between mask sales implied causation though I might have gotten in line to buy a dozen or so masks of my favorite candidate. Instead, I'll just make sure I vote in November. Besides they don't make a Montgomery Brewster mask.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Actually, Sarah Palin masks are outstripping them all! The unexpected VP pick caught mask manufacturers off guard and Palin masks are extremely difficult to come by. Seriously!

8/10/08 19:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if we assume this election mask theory is true, it seems to me that instead of using campaign funds for storied political traditions such as mudslinging, backstabbing and lobbying, a better use of the funds would be to manufacture two hundred and twenty million masks and sell them for a buck a piece to every registered voter in the country.

8/10/08 22:18  
Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

Great post and AWESOME pic (is that from Point Break?).

Only downside I see for McCain is, who wants to look like John McCain for Halloween? If the mask causation theory is true, it doesn't bode well for him. I think people would probably be more entertained by the opposing mask that closely resembles a coffee-colored Yoda. http://twurl.nl/pv47mt

9/10/08 11:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose it makes sense.

People will pick the candidate they like best to dress up as for Halloween.

Unfortunately looks like Dumbo is in the lead.

9/10/08 11:58  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Unbearable - I wouldn't think a mask would be needed for Sarah Palin, just a black wig and glasses would do.

Mason - Sounds like a good PSYOP mission ;)

R_V - Good eye, the pic is from Point Break. I'm not sure why anyone would want to dress up like either of them.

SAAM - I seen a peanut stand / Heard a rubber band / Seen a needle that winked its eye / But I been done seen about everything / When I see Obama lie.

9/10/08 13:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hysterical! Is there a Biden mask? If not, I guess you can just repurpose a Donald Trump mask.

10/10/08 08:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home