Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fringe

I finally got around to watching the first episode of Fringe, the new television show from J.J. Abrams the creator of LOST.

It didn't hook me right away like LOST did, but I enjoyed it.

The title comes from pseudoscience or fringe science. Science which departs significantly from the mainstream and is classified as being on the "fringes" of credible academic disciplines.

It reminded me a lot of X-Files (which I am sure it has been compared to already) and Millennium, two great shows.

The cast/plot seemed a little unimaginative:

It's got a dedicated female F.B.I Agent with some emotional damage and trust issues (probably a lot more by the end of the first episode).

A male wild card/genius/skeptic to provide sexual tension and perhaps even become a love interest later on.

A mad scientist (also the father of the wild card/genius/skeptic guy) who can be very lucid in one moment and kind of insane in the next (not scary insane though, more like Rain Man).

A Mega-Corporation whose power and sinister intentions will hopefully become clearer as the series progresses along.

And a possible government conspiracy.

The story was mildly intriguing though, and the ending did generate curiosity in me about future episodes.

The second episode airs tonight and I'll be checking it out to see if this show will become something I regularly watch or if it will go the way of every other rehashed sci-fi show recently.

If you haven't already seen it, check out the first episode below...

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy said...

I was not going to watch it as I didn't want to get sucked in to being a slave to yet another TV show, but now that I see Mark Valley is in it, I may have to reconsider.

I dug his show 'Keen Eddie'.

17/9/08 14:36  
Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

I felt very much the same as stated in your review. I'm somewhat intrigued, will cautiously watch the next episode to see if it's worth the time.

FWIW, while watching last night, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out where I had seen John Noble (who played the crazy Dr. Walter Bishop) before... he was the crazy Lord Denethor in The Return Of The King.

17/9/08 15:52  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Big Daddy – I remember Keen Eddie, it was pretty funny. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Mark Valley is going to be a big part of this series, unless it is in flash-backs (which is a big possibility since it is made by J.J. Abrams) or as a corpse.

R_V - Yeah, after the second episode I am still on the fence. I don't feel great about the show yet, but I am still curious enough to watch it again.

I've got a little problem with the character of Peter Bishop. With all his asides and funny little quips seems like Abrams has got him trying to be too much like Sawyer's character from LOST.

Thanks for pointing that out about John Noble. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what I had seen him in! The man knows how to play crazy.

18/9/08 16:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home