Sunday, March 09, 2008

Unhappy Hour...

Daylight Savings Time. Benjamin Franklin conceived of it. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle endorsed it. Winston Churchill campaigned for it. Kaiser Wilhelm first employed it. Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt went to war with it, and I hate it.

Sleep and I have a tenuous relationship at best and this really doesn’t help me at all. I’ve had insomnia since around my sophomore year in high school so I'm used to it, but I hate this farcical concept of springing forward to "save daylight".

Can we please get something straight? There is simply no way to "save daylight." People can spin the hands of their clocks like roulette wheels, but we're still going to have sunshine for about twelve hours and some change. The stubborn facts of astronomy are at work here and they can't be wished away.

Why do we do it?

It doesn't help agriculture. It has nothing to do with farmers, who traditionally haven't cared much for it. When the first DST law was making its way through Congress, farmers actually lobbied against it. Dairy farmers were especially upset because their cows still wanted to be milked every twelve hours, and had absolutely no interest in resetting their biological clocks.

DST doesn't save energy, it actually wastes energy and costs more. We've become a 24/7 society with people coming and going to work or to play no matter if it's dark or light out so it wouldn't be about conserving energy anymore.

DST may also be bad for your health by knocking your internal circadian clock out of sync.

Can’t we all agree to do away with this antiquated nonsense?

5 Comments:

Blogger Liöüx said...

¡Hola Digital Fortress!

Yes. DST TOTALLY annoys me as well.

At least I don't have to reset my digital car clock now.

10/3/08 12:11  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Lioux! Glad to see your comment.

Are you saying that some car company has taken away your God given right to be one hour behind and automatically updated your vehicle’s clock to coincide with DST? What is this The Former Soviet Union? Do you drive a Lada?

10/3/08 12:36  
Blogger Liöüx said...

A Lada? No, not that Much-a anymore.

Since I no longer work for Company, Inc.

And they have clocks that automatically coincide with DST?!?!?!

Here I was just being lazy.

10/3/08 12:59  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

LOL! I get you now... ;)

10/3/08 13:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get up at 0400. Either way it is dark. DST is just another form of control imposed by consumerism.I agree let us free ourselves from this ridiculous notion of saving daylight.

10/3/08 17:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home