Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Career Daze...

I was talking about our career choices with a friend of mine, which lead us to wonder if they coincided with what we thought we would be doing later in life once we were done with school...

This made me recall a career day we had when I was in fifth grade at St. Francis Catholic School. It featured guest speakers from different career fields and career related activities throughout the day.

In my English class, Sister Grace gave us an assignment in which we were to write an essay about what career we’d like to have in the future. We turned in the papers and the teacher went through them all, in front of the class, reading the names of the authors and what careers they had chosen.

“Jimmy wants to be a fireman. That’s a noble job. Rosa wrote about becoming a librarian. I’m sure that will give you the opportunity to read many wonderful books.” Finally she got to mine, “And let’s see...Alberto wants to be a missionary! Wow! You've always excelled in religion class. Father Damion will be so proud of you. You will get to travel to interesting places and spread the word of God to people of different cultures around the world.”

After a few moments, I responded, “That’s sounds great, but I don’t want to be a missionary. I wrote that I want to be a mercenary.”

“What?”

I answered, “Yeah, I want to get paid by various countries to kill their enemies.”

Then after a long and awkward silence I added, “...but I was right there with you on the part about traveling around the world.”

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catholic school can be difficult, but it seems like you kind of accomplished your goal of being a mercenary. In a loose sense of the word.

10/4/07 14:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missionary/Mercenary! Tomato/Tomatoe!
What's the difference?

10/4/07 14:32  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

I agree she was probably just splitting hairs, but I can see where my bad spelling could have caused the confusion.

10/4/07 14:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I would have loved to see the look on that nuns face!

10/4/07 15:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...and kill them? Were you that kid who wanted to be the first one on your block to get a confirmed kill? LOL!

10/4/07 16:04  
Blogger Tracy said...

I agree with frank....potato/potatoe....the picture at the top of the post was as usual, perfect.

10/4/07 16:04  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

There really was no call for Sister Grace to beat me within an inch of my life with her yard stick over such subtle variances in nuance.

10/4/07 16:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only Sister Grace knew you went on to join the military and could probably kick her ass now, she might have been a little more lenient.

10/4/07 16:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe this ever happened! You are such a "story teller"!!

10/4/07 19:15  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

How dare you doubt the veracity of my story?!?!?

Of course it happened that way, although I am probably paraphrasing most of the dialogue. ;)

10/4/07 19:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Cuban too! I didn't know where to post this, so here I am. Nice page! :-)

10/4/07 20:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love watching televison! The A-Team rocked! I especially loved The Dukes Of Hazard! That show needs to make a come-back. Seriously ya'll! I should have married Luke Duke instead of that loser K-Fed!

10/4/07 21:05  
Blogger Shantu said...

You crack me up...love the pic.

11/4/07 02:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home