Sunday, March 25, 2007

Movie Review: 300

My friend Kevin and I went to the IMAX in Dallas and saw 300 today.

I had been looking forward to watching this movie ever since the first previews and after finally seeing it - I wasn't disappointed.

I know enough about history to realize that the movie isn't terribly accurate, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.

300 is a fictionalized account of the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C. where Leonidas, King of Sparta, and three hundred warriors confronted the overwhelming forces of Persian ruler Xerxes.

To me it seemed more than just a modern action-packed tale of the Battle of Thermopylae, it seemed an allegory that fits the current struggle against militant Islamists.

In the movie Sparta is depicted protecting the Western Enlightenment principles of reason, freedom, and liberty from the mysticism and tyranny of the Persian empire.

Remind you of anything?

If that doesn't do it for you, the Persian hordes resemble Muslim jihadis, all except the Persian Immortals, who were obviously modeled after Japanese Samurai right down to their swords.

Given that he wrote the story in 1999, I don't think Frank Miller was trying to symbolize President Bush or Muslim jihadists or any current events, but the parallels are hard to miss. Apparently the reason this movie is so pro-freedom is due to Frank Miller's personal views.

The Spartans finds a way to work around spineless politicians who wanted Sparta to submit to Persian imperialism. Fortunately, the heavy losses sustained in that battle didn't dishearten Sparta (or Greece), it served to stiffen their resolve and resulted in their ultimate triumph over the fascism of Persia.

The United States of America can likewise defeat the forces of totalitarian Islamism if we can ignore the voices of cowardice from the Left and remain steadfastly dedicated to victory over those who seek to subjugate or eradicate us.

Yes, we are in the midst of a difficult war, but the odds are firmly in our favor if we can simply have the fortitude to endure. We need our elected leaders to push for victory, not defeat.

Go see 300! If you don't like it, you probably hate America.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

300 rocked! I love that movie and I concur that the coincidental parallels on current events are hard to miss.

I'm also a big fan of Frank Miller. In the world of comic books and graphic novels, this guy is a legend. My respect for him went through the roof after reading that NPR piece on him. He's also working on a new graphic novel, Holy Terror, Batman!, where Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass!

26/3/07 22:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good movie. I can't wait to see it once I get back.

27/3/07 07:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw on the regular screen and it was fantastic! I loved it!

I to felt like it had an undisguised Pro West/patriotic message. I hope people know that even though this is a really good movie, it is just that a movie. The Spartans, although a strong and patriotic people, were also pretty messed up. I guess so is America though. LOL!

27/3/07 08:12  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was a great movie and i would not mind seeing it again!

27/3/07 08:43  
Blogger Tracy said...

I haven't seen it yet but I want to ... thanks for the overview and review of it. Everyone that I have talked to that has seen it, has said similar things.

27/3/07 10:43  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Thanks for all the comments! That way my 299th post! Would have been cool to have my 300th post be about 300, but I didn't notice until today. Oh well…

I really enjoyed this movie a lot. Even without the comparison to our current struggles it was an awesome movie. It was mostly the ethos of Freedom, Liberty, Honor and Glory. I suppose it appealed to the soldier in me.

I do realize Sparta was no idyllic place in history and they were not the most enlightened of the Greeks, but admiration for their military has stood the test of time. The Spartan stand at the Battle of Thermopylae has been repeatedly cited in a military grand strategy context as a role model on the advantages of training, strategy and bravery against extremely overwhelming odds.

27/3/07 17:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I love you!

27/3/07 21:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie rocked! 300 brings me back to the good-old days of propaganda. When movies were produced in support of our country. When they were produced to remind us that we are the good guys and that our ideals are better than the ideals of our enemies.

But, I thought you couldn't psyop a psyoper though. LOL!

27/3/07 22:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From start to finish the film is visual feast of esthetically pleasing violence and death. In the end this film is all about death and meeting it with honor. The Spartans are a society of warriors, trained from birth. They are inspected at birth and if they are not perfect, they are discarded in a pit. If they are chosen, they are trained by men to fight and to never surrender, to never give up, and that death in battle is the greatest of honors. One must return from battle with his shield, or on it — any other way would be a disgrace. I can see how this movie would appeal to a soldier. :)

30/3/07 19:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home