Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11 - See-Wong Shum

2996 is a coalition of bloggers brought together by D.Challener Roe to commemorate the lives of the victims in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Here is the list of participants and tributes.

I am remembering forty-four year old See-Wong Shum who worked for New York Metropolitan Transport Council, eighty-second floor, One World Trade Center (north building).

He is survived by his wife - Rebecca Shum, son - Leon Shum, and daughter - Chanel Shum.

See-Wong Shum seems to have been a deeply spiritual, dedicated, and very intelligent person; he spent endless hours in the public library researching texts on different religions and a week before the World Trade Center attacks he announced that he was converting to Buddhism.

Mr. Shum also seemed to always be seeking new adventures and ways to help other people. Raised in Hong Kong, He once held positions as a high school teacher, corrections officer and suicide hotline counselor.

During his free time, he backpacked through Europe, China, Israel, Peru, Egypt and Thailand.

It was in Thailand where he was first exposed to Buddhism and meditated in a temple for the first time.

Mr. Shum finally settled on a computer-related job, managing computer systems for New York Metropolitan Transportation Council. It is said that he rarely missed a day of work, only taking time off to tend to his wife or children if they were sick.

He reportedly answered phones amid the chaos of the September 11th attacks. His wife, Rebecca, did not get a chance to talk to him one last time. However, when she returned home that day after dropping their daughter off at nursery school, there was a message on the answering machine. There were no voices on the message, just the sound of wailing sirens in the background.

While I never knew Mr. Shum in this life, after learning about him I now feel a great loss. He seems like a man that I would liked to have spoken with and personally known. This has allowed me to put a face, a name, and a life to this day that had affected me so much that I felt compelled to re-join the military to do my part. See-Wong Shum you are missed.

I am honored to have participated in this remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Please take some time today to stop and think about See-Wong Shum, his family and the 2995 other victims who perished on September 11, 2001.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute and thank you for your service!

11/9/06 09:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this the most amazing opportunity? I think the 2,996 project is the most useful thing I've ever participated in.

Read about my guy at:

http://journals.aol.com/mosie1944/MYCOUNTRYLIFE

11/9/06 12:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five years have come, and five years have gone, and still we stand together as one...

That was a good rememberance, I'm sure he and his family will appreciate it.

11/9/06 12:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really good job on commemorating Mr. Shum. I have done the same for Harvey J. Gardner III.

Thanks to you and the more than 2,996 bloggers none of these victims will be forgotten.

Also, thanks to D. Challener Roe's amazing idea to get us all together on this project.

11/9/06 12:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a 46-year-old man, a father of two boys and a National Guardsman. 9/11 changed everything in and about my life.

Since then, I have been mobilized 3 times with a tour in Iraq and 2 tours for homeland defense. My youngest son wanted to take a stand against terrorism and joined the Navy Seebees and is currently with ground forces in Iraq.

I have seen over 3/4 of my company killed or wounded, lost many good friends in battle and had to come home and try to put my life back together. I have been married 4 years and have been home for 11 months of it. I'm going back to Iraq next July and I don’t have a good feeling about making it home alive. Please pray for me.

11/9/06 12:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The events of 9/11 showed me how fragile life is and how quickly and unexpectedly life can end.

You did good commemorating See-Wong Shum. It's sad to think of the family he left behind.

11/9/06 13:02  
Blogger Tracy said...

Thank you Alberto, I feel honoroed to have had this additional insight into a truly remarkable life that will be missed.

11/9/06 14:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute! Thanks for participating.

Thank you for stopping by mine.

11/9/06 19:21  
Blogger kateandjona said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute!

Jonathon's Closet remembers Robert Levine.

11/9/06 22:12  
Blogger Jennifer Sizemore said...

That is truly a beautiful tribute. I would have been honored to meet Mr. Shum.

11/9/06 22:16  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

A very beautiful tribute to a very wonderful man. These are sad days, but when I think of the sadness that all the survivors live with every second of every day....well, it is deeply heartbreaking.

11/9/06 22:17  
Blogger gordaboo said...

Thank you for such a beautiful tribute. I did not know anyone who was loss that day, but reading everyone's blogs, seems to bring them alive to me a little bit.

We will never forget.

I remember Lisa Egan
http://ramblingsofamadpiggie.blogspot.com

12/9/06 00:38  
Blogger Babaloo said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful tribtue to one of the gentle souls we lost that day.
Thank you also for your service. It means everything for our country's future and our children's future.

12/9/06 08:37  
Blogger Elsa: said...

Thank you for taking the time to pay tribute to See-Wong Shum. It is beautiful as apparently was he.
I thank you and honor you for your service to our great country. Bless you!

12/9/06 09:01  
Blogger Ca... said...

Great sentiment. I know his family appreciates your tribute to him. I do.

12/9/06 09:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to See-Wong thank you for sharing. He worked just five floors above Harry Ramos. I wonder if they ever saw each other?

I wrote about Harry Ramos, a man who was killed while comforting a complete stranger. Everyone in Harry's office made it out that day. Harry could have to, but he chose to stay behind and try to help someone he didn't know.

http://www.buygilberthomes.com/?p=128

12/9/06 16:41  
Blogger HP said...

A very moving tribute. Thanks to you, Mr. Shum is no longer a stranger to any of us.

Thank you for dropping by my tributes to Denis F. Lavelle and Paul Robert Eckna.

12/9/06 17:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well done tribute.

13/9/06 07:39  
Blogger Tori :) said...

beautiful tribute! We will not forget.

14/9/06 09:19  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you for bring back one more person for me.

Victor, I will pray they end the conflict and you can stay home.

14/9/06 14:39  
Blogger Annake said...

That was a wonderful tribute. What a sad waste of life that day.

15/9/06 07:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Shum was my biology class high school teacher back in Hong Kong (Twghs Wong Lung Ling College). He is a kindness person and all our students in deep condolences.

8/2/23 02:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home