Monday, August 07, 2006

You're Hired!


Today I started my new job and I think I am really going to like it.

A couple of weeks ago I quit my old job, but it had been in the cards for some time...

People were starting to drift away from the company, people with a lot of experience and knowledge. Then my supervisor was asked to leave the company at a point when our department needed her the most. I hung on even though it was starting to get to the point where I disliked going in to work. The environment had changed.

Then came the last straw. I was passed over for promotion.

Being that I constantly excelled at any given task and quickly rose through the ranks in the year that I was there, that I was consistently the highest producer in my department, and that I was voted the company MVP two months prior this wasn't a case of "sour grapes".

Two people were promoted instead of me...

One definitely had me on seniority, but she was always the lowest producer in the department. She had even been assigned a lesser workload and she still remained with the lowest numbers.

Now the second one had only been in the department for a month and was the manager's cousin, so I am thinking nepotism on that one. She did not merit a promotion at all.

Not only was I shocked at who was promoted, so were my co-workers.

Of course I brought my concerns to the new supervisor's attention and she tried to placate me by saying that she would promote me in September, maybe. Not good enough, so I took up my case with Human Resources and when she started in with her tap dance I had no choice but to tell them to "Take this job and shove it".

I was a little depressed, but Season stuck by me, cheered me up, and supported my decision. Now I have a much better job with a big increase in pay and incentives. Excellent.

Thank you Season for all your love and support, you rock!

The icing on the cake came when I spoke to a couple of co-workers at my old job and they told me that they had to hire two people to replace me since the workload had piled up and that many in the department were looking elsewhere for employment too.

Good luck guys!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Yep, it's me at 4:05am - can't sleep. I'm glad you like your new job and thanks for watering-down my experience, as your former supervisor.....you were my best employee and a great friend. I only wish you luck and success in everything you do. After all, you would accept nothing less from yourself anyway.

9/8/06 04:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious how they had to hire TWO people to replace you!!! I'm LMAO right now! You did the right thing by leaving and I will always stick by you no matter what. I love you so much.

9/8/06 11:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, if they didn't appreciate the hard work you put in and the potential that you had then good riddance. I hope you enjoy your new job.

9/8/06 17:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! You will do great anywhere you decide to work. You are a motivated and dedicated individual.

9/8/06 20:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new job!

9/8/06 20:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that's great news. I work with numerous Captain Dumbasses so I can sympathize. Just keep looking forward and don't worry about those losers at your last job.

9/8/06 20:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the post that Season left about the new job on Saturday! Again congratulations!

9/8/06 20:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you!

9/8/06 21:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm..... rewarding lowered statistics by a promotion and squeezing out the higher statistic producing employee?

Does the owner know of this? I doubt they would approve.

10/8/06 11:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man! its eric! thats cool that you got a new job im happy for you. most of us are looking for something better. since you left its been kind of bad. they keep saying they want to keep us "happy" so we will stick around but you know how it is. approve? i don't know about that but if you have been here forever and if you know the right people you are golden. take care man, stay in touch.

10/8/06 16:49  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Thanks again to everyone that left me good wishes on my blog and Season's, I really appreciate it.

As for anonymous' question, the company I worked for is rather large so I am doubtful that the owners (plural) know the exact details of what is happening in the many departments in the organization. They hire people to run the business and I was but another cog. So although what happened in my situation was crap it's not unusual. After all, the word nepotism has been around for quite some time.

I've moved on and am glad I did.

It was their loss.

10/8/06 20:11  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Congrats!!!! Yay!!!!!! Let's celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/8/06 14:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home