Thursday, July 27, 2006

Who Wants To Be A Superhero?

It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Fat Momma!

The new Sci Fi channel "reality" show "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" premieres today.

Each contestant begins with an original idea for a superhero, a self-made costume, and their best superhero mojo. From thousands of hopefuls comic book legend - Stan Lee choose eleven lucky finalists who move together into a secret lair.

The cast will be Lemuria, Cell Phone Girl, Nitro G, Feedback, The Iron Enforcer, Monkey Woman, Levity, Ty'Veculus, Major Victory, Creature, and of course Fat Momma.

The aspiring heroes will be challenged with competitions designed to test their true natures. The superheroes in training will be tested for courage, integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion, and resourcefulness all traits that every true superhero should possess.

The winner of the six-week competition will walk away with their character immortalized in a new comic book developed with Stan Lee and will also appear in an original Sci Fi Channel movie!

These days, it seems as though every time you blink, there is a new "reality" show racing out of the television floodgates.

What happened to sitcoms? The Facts Of Life, Growing Pains, Family Ties, The Cosby Show they may have been bubbling over with cheesy morals, but at least there were morals involved.

Most "reality" based shows disgust me and have me yelling at the television until Season asks me to stop or changes the channel.

Sometimes though...much to my chagrin, I do get sucked in.

There is no denying it reality television is like an addictive drug. At first glance of this television redundant genre, you are curious to what it's all about, so you try it. Before you know it, you can't wait until the next installment and you're going out of your way to make time to catch the next show. No matter how stupid or obnoxious these worthless pieces of drivel are, we watch them.

Anyway, it sounds like this "reality" show is chock full of morals and values. I will probably be watching, but my expectations are set very, very low.

Frivolous fun: Design A Superhero, Superhero Quiz, & Which Marvel Superhero Are You

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to watch that reality show Rockstar: Supernova. It's pretty good.

27/7/06 11:50  
Blogger Tracy said...

I try not to get sucked in unless there is some element of 'logic' to the show....like 'The Mole' and 'Treasure Hunters' - both I've liked. However, like you said, there are always a couple that suck me on.....right now it is 'So You Think You Can Dance?' - go Benji, Donyelle and Heidi !! And, as hard as I try not to, I always get sucked into 'American Idol' when it gets down to 12 or so contestants.

I agree though, where are the sitcoms, etc. of days gone by like Happy Days, Who's The Boss?, etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that '20 Good Years' fill that void for me this fall, we'll see.

27/7/06 14:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was 80% - The Flash!

I miss the old sitcoms too, but I know you like "Scrubs", "The Office", and "My Name Is Earl". The sitcom is still out there. Just overshadowed (maybe) by all these reality shows.

I'm not much into the so called reality shows either. They are a long way from "Leave It To Beaver". Definatley devoid of morals, values, or any standards and I don't think that is actual "reality".

Not all of them are terrible though. I like that "Intervention" show and there is one coming up called "Thirty Days" (or something like that) where people switch roles for thirty days and walk in someone elses shoes.

I'm going to try and catch this superhero show so we can talk about it though LOL!

27/7/06 14:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is Fat Momma hot? I'm just saying...

27/7/06 14:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe...I was 70% Batman

Most reality TV is pointless, mindless, stupid, and annoying! I hate The Bachelor, Elimin-date, Next, and all those lets hook up two people in an hour shows.

There's even a whole book on how bad reality TV is. It's called "Shooting People: Adventures in Reality TV". If you love reality TV, read that book. You'll change your mind.

Although I have to confess, I loved the Osbournes!

And Keith, it's just you man.

27/7/06 16:18  
Blogger Rowena said...

Hey Digital Fortress Man!

Fat Momma IS hot, I'm just saying too...but HEY, how was your interview this morning? I read on Season's blog that you had one and I hope it went well, good luck on that one sweets! ;)

-Dylan

27/7/06 18:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see the show. Sounds pretty nutty though. A male exotic dancer superhero? I thought you said this show was supposed to have some morals and values. Reality type shows pick only freaks and extreme personality types to exploit and make the show interesting. As for Fat Momma, she could be hot...if you place her on the surface of the sun.

28/7/06 11:41  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

The show was not too bad at all.

The first thing was a morality test. There was a traitor among them (a superhero named Rotiart - Traitor spelled backwards) who exposed all of their motivations for wanting to be a hero. The one with the most selfish reason was immediately eliminated.

The second part they had a competition to one by one change into their superhero uniform inconspicuously and then get to a certain destination as quickly as possible. The route took them all through a large open area where a little girl was crying for help. Those that stopped to assist the little girl showed their true hero qualities. Those that didn’t, failed the actual test in that mission and would be put up for elimination.

Only four of them stopped, Cell Phone Girl, Lemuria, Fat Momma and Major Victory, the ex-exotic dancer guy. He was way over the top in everything he was doing and I think he is hilarious so far.

The host, Stan Lee, advised the competitors that the show is going to test the wanna-be superheroes heart, which is the most important thing that a superhero should have and that not everything was going to be as it seemed. They would need to use intelligence, resourcefulness, self-sacrifice, courage, compassion, and integrity to complete the missions.

It’s a nice take on reality TV, but they do have freaks and extreme personality archetypes like all other “reality” shows. It does seem to focus on morals and values, so I like the message of the show though and will probably check it out again.

Gabriel liked it, and said he would have stopped to help the little girl because she was lost and nobody should be lost. He also liked Fat Momma’s theme song. The jury is still out on whether she is hot or not though…I am leaning towards the latter.

28/7/06 12:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may have found my calling. At last I can reveal my secret identity. This show would be interesting with a few twists. Transvestites, midgets or both, what do ya say?

28/7/06 14:53  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Ummm...no transvestites, that would be going against the whole family values and morals that I have been griping about. Midgets are always welcome. I don’t think anyone wants to know the true identity of Poop Man though. Welcome back from DS School!

28/7/06 19:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home